A very warm welcome to the Highland Society of London website.
The Highland Society of London is a charity, which exists to promote and support the traditions and culture of the Highlands of Scotland, whilst maintaining a Membership of individuals to support the Society’s activities. Throughout its more than 200 years’ history, the Society has a proud record of financing and otherwise supporting significant charitable activities both in the Highlands and also in London. This assistance has varied as the needs of Highlanders have changed over the years, but has always had a particular bias towards piping and education. In recent years, the Society has focused on making annual awards to individuals who excel in particular pursuits traditional to the Highlands and Islands, hoping as a result to bring those traditions to a wider public in Scotland and beyond.
The 2020 calendar of events that the Society supports is currently:
- 28th March-3rd May 2020 - RSA Annual Exhibition, Edinburgh (online only)
- 9th May 2020 - Highland Book Prize, Ullapool (online only)
- 4th-5th August 2020 - Skye Games Piping Competitions, Portree (cancelled)
- 15th August 2020 - Glenfinnan Gathering Highland Dancing Competitions, Glenfinnan (cancelled)
- 20th-21st August 2020 - Northern Meeting Piping Competitions, Inverness (cancelled)
- 26th-27th August 2020 - Argyllshire Gathering Piping Competitions, Oban (cancelled)
- 26th-27th August 2020 - MacGregor Memorial Piobaireachd Competition, Oban (online only)
- 17th September 2020 - Gaelic Literature Awards, Glasgow (online only)
- 9th-17th October 2020 - Royal National Mod, Inverness (online only)
- TBC November 2020 - London Piping Competitions, Caledonian Club, London (TBC)
- 5th December 2020 - Scots Trad Music Awards, Dundee
For more information about the Highland Society of London, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Details relating to the trustees of the charity, its accounts and its administration can be found on the Charity Commission of England and Wales website here.